Sunday, September 6, 2020

The Trinity "the Most Absurd of all Absurdities"

 

Buy on Amazon for only 99 cents by clicking here - see a local listing for this here

"As to Personality in God, a Trinity of Persons, I think it the most absurd of all absurdities; and in my opinion, a man who hath brought himself to believe the popular doctrine of the Trinity; hath done all his work: for after that, there can be nothing hard, nothing inevident: the more unintelligible, the more credible; and as this serves the purpose of producing implicit faith in pretended guides, priests will always try to keep it in credit. The Bible reads easy if we consider God, One; Jesus the Son of God; and the Holy Ghost the influence of GOD. But this would spoil trade; the scriptures would become plain and easy, and a learned priesthood would be unnecessary to make out and unfold that hard science christianity to us poor blind creatures. Verily my friend, priestcraft is at the bottom of all this burlesque upon religion; for such I account the grimace of one man's pretending to take care of another man's soul. The direct end of all their schemes, is to cheat people into a disuse of their own understandings, and to pitch their eyes, and place their affections upon a frail and often a wicked proxy. After more to the same import, the Writer speaks of himself at his studies. "Here I am from the din of unprofitable disputes about words and phrases. Here I enjoy a daily intercourse with men of the first literature, and the most amiable dispositions, sincere disciples of Jesus, who, thanks to divine goodness are in this University, studying the holy scriptures, and devoting their fine talents to the service of truth. Here too is a Church of divers sentiments, but of uniform goodness who enjoy christian liberty without assuming authority over one another. Here I weed my garden, plough the silver stream with my two oar boat, read, scribble, contemplate, and fill my soul with ideas of the Great Supreme and with the joyful prospect of a blessed immortality Here the blossoms of my flowers and fruits regale my scent; the lark compliments me when I rise; the cuckoo attunes the morning breeze; the owl sings me to sleep, and if I wake, in the night, the nightingale beneath my window lulls me to rest again." Robert Robinson (1726 - 1791)

No comments:

Post a Comment