Wednesday, March 7, 2018

John 14:14 and the Missing ME

Question: The WBTS sent me a photo copy of Jn 14:14 which includes the word "me" in the greek text but the translators of the NWT chose to leave it out. Jesus says here; "If you ask (me) anything in my name, I will do it." The footnote in the NWT cites other transltions that exclude it. The writer of the letter that the WBTS wrote back to me refers to three modern translations that exclude it, and gives this as partial reason the NWT excludes it. The writer then goes on to cite Jn 15:16 and 16:23&24 as other places where these three translations leave out the word "me" when Jesus was speaking, but in these scriptures the NWT translators didn't choose to do the same. They discount the more modern translations when what they say is in conflict with the WBTS but refer to them positively when they are in agreement.

Reply: Modern versions do the same thing as the NWT. See the New English Bible, Revised Standard Version, Living Bible, Unvarnished NT, Modern Language Bible, Contemporary English Version, Lattimore, New King James, Jerusalem Bible, New Jewish Version, Revised English Bible, and the marginal notes of many others. According to P. Comfort's Early Manuscripts and Modern Translation of the New Testament, the word ME has been added to the newer versions on the strength of ONE manuscript, P66.

The word "ME" is also omitted from ancient manuscripts like A, D, K, L, Codex Petropolitanus, Codex Athous Laurae and the Byzantine manuscripts amongst others. Bruce Metzger in his Textual Commentary of the Greek NT says it is a contradiction. Why is this? Because the book of John clearly says that this phrase is a referent to the Father (John 15:16; 16:23).
Remember, according to trinitarian theology, Jesus is NOT the Father.

The NIV Ryrie Study says of the phrase "in my name" used in John 14, "This is not a formula to be tacked on at the end of prayers, but means praying for the same things Christ would desire to see accomplished. It is like using a power of attorney that a very dear loved one has given you."

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
If you shall ask anything in my name, I will do it.

American King James Version
If you shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

American Standard Version
If ye shall ask anything in my name, that will I do.

Darby Bible Translation
If ye shall ask anything in my name, I will do it.

Webster's Bible Translation
If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

World English Bible
If you will ask anything in my name, I will do it.

Young's Literal Translation
if ye ask anything in my name I will do it.

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible
If ye shall ask anything,.... These words are much, the same with the former, and have been thought, by some, to have crept into the text from the margin; though they seem rather to be repeated by Christ, the more to strengthen and confirm the faith of his disciples in this matter; that whatsoever they asked in my name, either calling upon it, he being equally the object of prayer with the Father, or making mention of it, pleading the merits of his blood, righteousness, and sacrifice; whatever was according to the will of God, was for his glory, and their real good, he would do it for them, as well when absent from them, as present with them.

Vincent's Word Studies
If ye shall ask anything
Some authorities insert me. So Rev. This implies prayer to Christ.

People's New Testament
14:13,14 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do. What man would dare to make such a promise? It will be noted, that in order to enjoy the fullness of these glorious promises we must, (1) Believe. They are limited thus in Joh 14:12. Without faith it is impossible to please God. (2) We must ask in his name, or, in dependence upon the merit and intercession of Christ. (3) As shown elsewhere, we must come with a spirit of complete submission to the Father's will, feeling that his will is best, and saying in our hearts, Thy will be done (Mt 6:10 Lu 11:2).

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary
14:12-17 Whatever we ask in Christ's name, that shall be for our good, and suitable to our state, he shall give it to us. To ask in Christ's name, is to plead his merit and intercession, and to depend upon that plea. The gift of the Spirit is a fruit of Christ's mediation, bought by his merit, and received by his intercession. The word used here, signifies an advocate, counsellor, monitor, and comforter. He would abide with the disciples to the end of time; his gifts and graces would encourage their hearts. The expressions used here and elsewhere, plainly denote a person, and the office itself includes all the Divine perfections. The gift of the Holy Ghost is bestowed upon the disciples of Christ, and not on the world. This is the favour God bears to his chosen. As the source of holiness and happiness, the Holy Spirit will abide with every believer for ever.

Also, it is in harmony with:

John 15:16 (ASV) "whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you."


John 16:23 (ASV) "Verily, verily, I say unto you, if ye shall ask anything of the Father, he will give it you in my name."

And also in John 14:13 (ASV) "And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son."

metatron3@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment