Friday, July 19, 2019

John 8 from Rodolphus Dickinson's New Testament 1833


Rodolphus Dickinson (1787-1863), an Episcopal rector was an insufferable snob who produced a version of the New Testament agreeable to the well-born, or as he put it:

"Accomplished and refined persons...And when it is considered what an antiquated, and in other particulars forbidding aspect, the inspired writings, in their usual style and conformation, present to the view of many intelligent, refined and amiable persons, who might be induced to peruse them in a less interrupted and more inviting form, in connexion with the typographical execution here displayed, which, it is presumed, will be regarded by such, as no small improvement; can any valid objection be urged to the prevalent spirit and character of this undertaking? Why should the inestimable gift of God to man, be proffered in a mode that is unnecessarily repulsive? Why should the received translation be permitted to perpetuate, to legalize, and almost to sanctify, many and unquestionable defects? While various other works, and especially those of the most trivial attainment, are diligently adorned with a splendid and sweetly flowing diction, why should the mere, uninteresting identity and paucity of language be so exclusively employed, in rendering the word of God? Why should the Christian scriptures be divested even of decent ornament? Why should not an edition of the heavenly institutes be furnished for the reading-room, saloon, and toilet, as well as for the church, school, and nursery? for the literary and accomplished gentleman, as well as for the plain and unlettered citizen? Why should the Bible be stationary, amid the progress of refinement and letters? Why, in antique fashion, should it remain solitary, in the enchanting and illimitable field of modern improvements?"

Here is John 8 in his New Testament:

Then Jesus again said to them, I am going away, and you will seek me, but will die in your sins; where I go, you cannot come. The Jews  then said, Will he destroy himself? for he declares. Where I go, you cannot come. And he alleged to them. You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. I there-fore affirmed to you, that you will die in your sins; for, if you believe not that I am from above, you will perish in your transgressions. They then said to him, Who art thou? And Jesus observed. Precisely what I have already communicated to you. I have numerous particulars to disclose, and to condemn, in relation to you: but he who sent me is worthy of belief; and I announce to the world those things which I have received from him. They did not comprehend, that he revealed to them the Father. Jesus then reminded them, When you shall have lifted up the Son of Man, you will then know that I am from above, and that I do nothing of myself; but represent these things, as my Father has instructed me. And he, who sent me, is with me. The Father has not left me alone; because I always perform what is acceptable to him. As he was making these observations, many believed in him. Jesus then remarked to those Jews, who believed him. If you continue in this doctrine of mine, you are assuredly, my disciples; and you will know the truth, and the truth will emancipate you.

Some replied to him. We are Abraham's posterity, and have never been enslaved to any man. How dost thou affirm. You shall be emancipated? Jesus answered them. In truth, I assure you, that every one who commits sin, is a slave to sin. Now the servant does not continually abide in the family; but the Son perpetually remains there. If therefore, the Son shall liberate you, you will indeed be free. I know that you are Abraham's posterity; but you endeavor to destroy me, because this my doctrine exists not in you. I pronounce that which I have witnessed with my Father; but you perform that which you have learnt from your father. They answered and said to him, Abraham is our father. Jesus says to them. If you were the children of Abraham, you would do the works of Abraham. But now you are seeking, what Abraham would not have done, to kill me; a man who has spoken to you the truth, which I have heard from God. You accomplish the objects of your father. They then said to him. We are not of contaminated descent. We have one Father, even God. Jesus stated to them. If God were your Father, you would love me; since I proceeded, and have come from God; for indeed, I have not arrived of myself, but he has sent me. Why do you not comprehend my mode of illustration. It is because you cannot endure my doctrine. You are from your father the calumniator, and the violent passions of your father you will indulge. He was a murderer from the beginning ; and continued not in the truth, because there is no veracity in him. When he utters a falsehood, it proceeds from his own disposition; for he is false, and the father of falsehood. Now I speak the truth, but you do not believe me. Which of you can convict me of sin? And if I speak the truth, why do you not believe me? He who is from God, regards the words of God. You disregard them, because you are not from God.

The Jews answered, and said to him. Have we not reason to affirm, that thou art a Samaritan, and hast a demon? Jesus replied, I have not a demon; but I honor my Father, and you dishonor me. I seek not, however, to promote my own glory; another seeks it, who judges. Indeed, I aver to you, If any one keep my word, he will never see death. The Jews then said to him, Now we are certain that thou art a
demoniac: Abraham died, and the prophets; yet thou sayest. If any one keep my word, he will never taste death. Art thou greater than our father Abraham, who is dead? The prophets are also deceased; whom dost thou think thyself to be? Jesus replied, If I commend myself, my commendation is nothing: it is my Father who commends me; of whom you assert, He is our God. Yet you do not know him; but I know him: and if I should affirm, that I know him not, I should speak falsely like you: but I know him, and keep his word. Your father Abraham earnestly desired to see my day; and he saw it, and rejoiced. The Jews then said to him. Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? Jesus observed to them, In truth, I assure you, that before Abraham was born, I existed. They then took up stones to throw at him; but Jesus concealed himself, and departed from the temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment