Tuesday, July 21, 2020

The Strange, Difficult, Abstruse Doctrine of the Trinity


Doctor Watts on the Trinity

Dear and blessed God, hadst thou been pleased, in any one plain Scripture, to have informed me which of the different opinions about the holy Trinity, among the contending parties of Christians, had been true, thou knowest with how much zeal, satisfaction, and joy my unbiased heart would have opened itself to receive and embrace the divine discovery. Hadst thou told me plainly, in any single text, that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are three real, distinct persons in the divine nature, I had never suffered myself to be bewildered in so many doubts, nor embarrassed with so many strong fears of assenting to the mere inventions of men, instead of divine doctrine; but I should have humbly and immediately accepted thy words, so far as it was possible for me to understand them, as the only rule of my faith. Or hadst thou been pleased to express and include this proposition in the several scattered parts of thy book, from whence my reason and conscience might with ease find out and with certainty infer this doctrine, I should joyfully have employed all my reasoning powers, with their utmost skill and activity, to have found out this inference, and engrafted it into my soul.

“But how can such weak creatures ever take in so strange, so difficult, and so abstruse a doctrine as this, in the explication and defence whereof multitudes of men of learning and piety have lost themselves in infinite subtilties of disputes and endless mazes of darkness? And can this strange and perplexing notion of three real persons going to make up one true God be so necessary and so important a part of that Christian doctrine which, in the Old Testament and the New, is represented as so plain and so easy even to the meanest understandings?” Watts's Solemn Address to the Deity (Published 1845)



No comments:

Post a Comment